If you are familiar with DropBox, SmartVault (or SV) is very similar. SV will allow you to upload your tax documents (i.e. w2's, 1099's, etc...) from wherever you are with your scanner or cell phone and drop it directly in to your own, personal, password protected and encrypted SV account. Additionally, it will enable you to "Pick up" your completed Tax return electronically.
Emails are not 100% secure and electronic identity theft is on the rise.
You have 24/7 access to your tax information.
- Clients frequently ask for a reprint of a tax return, or a copy of a w2 for income verification or numerous other requests requiring tax documents such as: refinancing a loan, renting a new apartment, or filing for unemployment. With Smart Vault you control your own files without the mercy of time if I happen to be on vacation!
For a preview of SmartVault click HERE.
Lastly, let me say, I am slow to change and take on new technology. My smart phone is still my mortal enemy at times. That said, I have researched and taken time to learn and analyze Smart Vault as a client tool and I am confident that SV will make your information work better for you.
If you do not have access to your SV account, please emails us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will resend you a link where you will need to enter your password. If you have forgotten your password, you will need to reset directly with SV.
How do I upload documents to SmartVault?
- The biggest hurdle for many of you will be the necessity to scan and upload your tax documents into SmartVault. First, we are going to invite you to think differently about where your documents "live" or can be accessed from.
- Create a Folder for each tax year on your computer and name it: XXYY Tax Documents
- Most documents are accessible through the entities' online portals. Contact the issuer to see if you can create an online account to download the documents yourself into the folder you have created on your computer OR if they can securely email you those documents.
- Fill out your Business and/or Personal worksheet from our website HERE
- Open your SmartVault account (more in: ABOUT SMARTVAULT, see link) and upload your clearly named tax documents and workbook.
What if the issuer does not provide documents online?
- If you cannot obtain the documents from the issuer digitally, you will need to scan or capture an image of each of your documents.
- If you do not have access to a scanner, do not stress, your smart phone can do the trick! Here is an article with some options: Scanning documents with a smartphoneﾠ.
- Email yourself the documents from your smartphone and follow steps 1 - 4 above.
- DOCUMENTS MUST BE CLEAR AND LEGIBLE....For obvious reasons 12
Don is late for my appointment, what do I do?
- Don’s appointments tend to run over, especially during the busiest time. Not to worry, just sit tight! Don will be with you within 10-15 minutes.
Do I have to provide a workbook, or can I just provide Don with my documents?
- Short answer, YES!
- Workbooks provide efficiency for the allotted time of your appointment; because we are now mandated to meet virtually, a completed workbook is critical for Don to be able to process your tax return as well.
- Your workbook must be completed 1 full day prior to your virtual appointment as we can no longer assist you onsite or during your appointment.
- If you do not provide a workbook, we may need to postpose your appointment to a later date.
I have a Business; do I need to complete a workbook for Business AND Personal?
- Short answer, NO!
- You are not required to fill out 2 workbooks. You can simply include any Business-related items in your Personal workbook with the letters EIN leading the description. Don will sort out the numbers with you during your appointment.
- If you would like to fill out a Business workbook, that is an option as well as this does help Don.
What do I do if I haven't received all of my supporting documents in time for the appointment?
- It’s okay! Don can still discuss everything with you during your appointment, however your return will not be completed until we receive all the missing documents.
What should I do if I am unable to meet with Don before the filing deadline?
- You can file a 6 month extension which will push your tax filing deadline to:
- September 15th for Business taxes.
- October 15th for Personal taxes.
- To file an extension, go to: http://www.drtaxguy.com/Start-Here-/Extension/extension.html
- then fill out the applicable extension request form.
- Important: This is an extension to FILE, NOT an extension TO PAY.